Monday, October 29, 2007

Some Movie Reviews

Idiocracy - I had heard good things about this movie and I am a big fan of Mike Judge so I had pretty high expectations. These expectations were made even higher by the first 10 or 15 minutes of the movie, which were hilarious. But the rest of it totally sucked. Good idea, bad execution. It turned into a one joke movie.


Match Point - This film was absolutely brilliant. I am a big fan of Woody Allen and love most of his films. They have been getting kind of stale lately, but I guess London suits him because this, the first Woody Allen film I have ever seen that is not set in NYC, is absolutely brilliant. I can't say enough good things about this movie. Thank you, Woody, for doing something totally awesome to shut up your critics.

Inland Empire - Weird. I love David Lynch so I had high expectations for this movie. It took me about a year to figure out what Mulholland Drive meant so I wasn't expecting too much immediate logic. I loved the movie, but I'm not sure if there is an explanation. Lynch has said that he wrote it basically scene-by-scene as he was filming. The actors claim to not know the meaning. So either this has a meaning buried very, very deep or it has no meaning. Lynch says it is about "a woman in trouble." And Laura Dern is incredible as that woman. But as for the rest of this film I don't know whether it's just surrealism for its own sake or if there is anything underneath it all.

No comments: