Thursday, August 23, 2007

MySpace, Facebook and Music

I was looking at the lineup for a concert and I noticed that every single band has a MySpace page as their web site. I find MySpace to be intolerably annoying and badly designed. Looking at a simple page without tons of crap on it gives me a headache, a page with all sorts of flashing banners and animations is enough to make me vomit.

Is MySpace the default way that independent musicians promote themselves now? Would having a site specialized towards musicians and not pre-teenage girls be something that people would be interested in?

I know MySpace started out as a site that a lot of musicians found useful but it has long since degenerated into a junior high school party held in a messy teenagers room.

As much as I hate Facebook at least it's clean looking. Actually I don't hate it. I just don't particularly like it. Today I was trying to join a network for a school I actually went to and I couldn't because I no longer have an email address there. It's not as user friendly as it looks, but I have to admit it does look nice. I enjoy minimalist, spare designs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also hate myspace. It sucks.I perfer facebook but hate them all really and wish people would just go to my site that I created for my company and email me. Period. But I play the game of myspace and facebook because it seems like a way to meet lots of people and possibly build one's business. That's all I am trying to do. By the way my company is Red Wall PRoductions.