Thursday, December 13, 2007

How GoDaddy screwed me and why I am done with them

A few months ago I started using GoDaddy's cashparking program. It basically lets you put Google ads on your parked domains, which GoDaddy does anyway, but they give you a cut of the amount you make. So you pay them $3.99 a month to get a cut of the money they make off of your domain anyway.

It doesn't sound like such a good deal... Why use it? Why not just park your own domain? Well Google's AdSense for Domains is closed and you would have to set up each individual domain on it's own. And it wasn't such a bad deal. After two months I had added all 100 or so off my domains to this program, and I was making a couple hundred a month.

A few weeks ago I started having problems with some of the CashParked pages. Some were showing blank, others were showing links which did not work. I was in frequent contact with GoDaddy's tech support and they were unable to help me and Google still has not responded to me. But I spent a lot of time looking at my domains and clicking on them - and getting errors for each click.

Last night I receive an email from GoDaddy saying that due to a pattern of fraudulent activity they were suspending my account. I have no idea what that pattern may be other than my testing the sites constantly for about two weeks. And here's the kicker - they not only cancel my account, they also keep the money they owe me, and any unpaid money as well. They pay about a month or two behind so they are keeping two or three months of my money.

I can easily find another registrar with a similar program, and I actually did find a third party that offers a much better deal than GoDaddy. But I liked GoDaddy. Well, I don't like them any more. Unless they get this resolved I am going to transfer all of my domains elsewhere, at great expense to me, just to prove a point.

I read an interview with GoDaddy's CEO, whose name I can not recall, and he was very much into customer service and providing the user with a great experience. His name is Bob Parons. Well this is a spectacular example of screwing the user and not providing any decent service. I have not been able to get any information on what patterns they saw that caused them to do this, I have gotten no response regarding my requests for them to look at my emails to tech support.

So basically GoDaddy just stole my money. I am extremely angry and I will not ever register anything with GoDaddy again. I'd rather pay the extra money elsewhere and be dealing with a registrar who is not going to screw me over and steal my money.

No comments: