Monday, March 24, 2008

Cash My Phone

I sent an old cell phone of mine in to CashMyPhone.com. I considered using SecondRotation but they didn't have that particular phone model listed on the web site so rather than send it and wait to see what they decided it was worth I just used CashMyPhone.

I got an email a few days after I sent the phone saying that they had received it. Then a couple of months later I got an email saying it had been "disqualified" and I had to pay $8 to get it back. So I replied saying please send it back to me, and no reply and no phone. A few more weeks pass and I get a "final" email warning me that if I don't request the phone back they will keep it.

I have sent it at least 4 emails to these people and have received no reply. The phone had no physical damage to it when I sent it to them. I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing is a scam - they either get $8 to ship the phone back to me or they get the whole phone for free.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? If I don't hear back by the end of the week I will file a complaint with the better business bureau.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have a similar problem. I sent them my phone. A few days later I received an email stating it was received. 1 month later I received an email stating it was qualified at first. Immediately following this, I received another email stating it was disqualified and that I need to send them 8$ to get it back. I emailed them asking them about it, but never heard back from them. I researched a phone number for them (718) 837-2887, but it is always busy???

Eric Antoine Scuccimarra said...

I just tried the number and it rang but did not go through to anything. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB.

Unknown said...

I have had similar problems too. I have emailed them numerous times to no avail. I am filing a complaint because they owe me $55. My items "qualified" in November 2007 and I still (as of May 2008) have not received the check.

Eric Antoine Scuccimarra said...

I ended up filing a complaint with the BBB but I haven't heard anything since they received it.

Unknown said...

When did you file the complaint? I am going to do the same. This is ridiculous!

LivingRichCheaply said...

So I used the cashmyphone site over a year ago, and I actually got a check although I had to email them twice. But recently I sent more phones (in April) and have received nothing. I tried to contact them many times to no avail. Keep me updated, I am contemplating small claims court since I live in NY and they're based in Brooklyn.

Eric Antoine Scuccimarra said...

If I were you I would definitely pursue small claims court. The BBB dropped the case when they were unable to contact CashMyPhone through any means - phone, mail, etc. It's like the people just picked up and left. If you can find them I would definitely take them to court.

LivingRichCheaply said...

I read on other sites complaining about cashmyphone and the BBB also said that they were unable to contact them. However, we have their address so I'm sure I can serve him or something. Not really worth it for $55 but its the principle of it. Also, I see another site trademyphone.com which seems to be run by the same company (though I'm not sure). They need to be stopped.

Eric Antoine Scuccimarra said...

If there's anything I can do I am happy to help. I also live in the NY area but I didn't think of taking them to court as I wasn't even able to get a phone number for them. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to track down the guys behind this.