Thursday, March 06, 2008

Alphas and Betas part 2

Polar Rose
Polar Rose is supposed to be face recongition software. Rather than trying to write algorithms to duplicate what the human mind does, they are doing something very popular these days - using the wisdom of crowds.

As far as I can tell, Polar Rose will scan any web page you load for images that contain what it thinks are faces. If it finds one it puts a little icon on the screen. You click the icon and it either gives you a form to enter who the person is, or if it thinks it knows, you can confirm or reject the name.

I am not sure what the end goal is - to be able to recognize faces in images on the web, or to come up with a complete facial recognition database - but whatever it is Polar Rose seems to be doing pretty well on getting there. I keep the Firefox plugin disabled most of the time as I load a lot of web pages with a lot of images and it slows the browser down noticeably. When I enable it it seems to recognize faces occassionally. Mostly I think it is someone else who tagged the same photo, but it seems to be a pretty solid approach.

How they plan to make money with this I have no idea.

Wuala
Wuala is actually still in alpha. From their site:
Wuala is a new way of storing, sharing, and publishing files on the internet. It's a free desktop application for Windows, Mac, and Linux that brings you a convenient and secure online storage. Unlike traditional online storage systems, Wuala is decentralized and can harness idle resources of participating computers to build a large, secure, and reliable online storage. This new technology has a number of advantages and it allows us to provide you a better service for free.
Wuala is basically an online storage system. It works pretty well, the app crashes every now and then. I have never used the file sharing sections, but I do use it to keep files I want from different locations available.

My own gripe is that the 1GB of disk space it gives you is about what I can fit on my USB thumb drive, making Wuala not terribly useful to me. And everytime I load it it tries to let me know about new wallpapers and screensavers and such.

It seems like a pretty good product and it is definitely a good idea as people move onto using the web as an application platform. I have not yet had the need to try out the file sharing portions, but maybe I'll play around with that a little bit when I have some free time.

Update - On further reading the description of Wuala it appears that you can trade local hard disk space for online space. I guess it stores things on users machines to achieve it's decentralized structure. That makes it a lot cooler than I previously thought it was.


I have a couple more I will post about either later today or tomorrow.

No comments: