Monday, January 07, 2008

Catching up from the weekend

Have a bunch of stuff from this past weekend. Don't have much time today though. So I am going to start with the least important so the most important goes to the top:

This weekend my girl and I went to the movies. I let her pick since the last... um... every movie we have seen has been my pick. She picked Juno. I wasn't really thrilled, there were lots of other things I would rather have seen, but Roger Ebert thought it was good and I generally respect his opinion.

I hated the movie with some caveats. Ellen Page is a good little actress and the movie had some shimmers of being good, but the execution was awful. Jason Reitman, son of legendary Ivan Reitman, directed it like a knock-off of a bad Wes Anderson movie. From the horrible ironic-east village-folk songs, to the way they titled the seasons, to the way all of the characters were so precious, and finally the feel of the entire movie. By the end I was ready to puke if they played another "cute and weird" post-modern folk song and they did. But I didn't puke.

The story was good, Ellen Page was excellent, and the screenplay was good as far as how it exposed the characters emotions without seeming to do so, but Jason Reitman trying to do Wes Anderson is worse than Wes Anderson trying to do Wes Anderson, which is basically all he seems to do these days. But that's another story.

The other problem I had with the movie was the characters ridiculous hip slang. "Honest to blog?" Honest to shoot me in the head, is more like it. It was like we had a bunch of weird teenagers doing ironic impressions of inner city people, but that appears to be the way they actually talk. I don't know any teenagers who talk like that, unless they were raised by MTV.

Could have been good, wasn't, don't understand what all the hype is about.

No comments: