Thursday, May 21, 2009

How the Internet Changed Music

A Time magazine article on whether the internet has saved or killed the music industry. The conclusion seems to be that some people are taking advantage of the internet to download music instead of buying it, while for others they hear something on the internet and their interest is piqued and they go out and buy it.

I haven't bought any music in a long time. Probably close to 10 years. I do buy records, but I buy used vinyl records so I'm sure the recording industry doesn't really care about that. The music I download is either stuff I already have on record and want for my iPod, or music that I had before and lost the CDs.

I haven't bought a CD in even longer. Definitely over a decade. So, if the record labels want to say that I am killing their profits go ahead. I say make some decent music and maybe I'll consider buying it.

No comments: